EC flat with MILE Encoder
In applications where every millimetre counts and high torque is asked for, flat motors, in particular, are applied. Hence, dense integration in overall length is essential for this type of motor.
In order to take advantage of the EC 90 flat motor’s ultra slim design also in high-precision applications and positioning tasks, a microsystem is being applied; the MILE encoder. The incredibly miniature system can be integrated into the motor without adding length.
Behind the abbreviation MILE hides Maxon’s Inductive Little Encoder, the worldwide smallest inductive rotary encoder. Its operating principle is based on the detection of high-frequency inductivity which generates eddy current in an electrically conducting target.
The advantages of a high-frequency inductive method of measurement compared to traditional encoders are:
- High robustness towards dust or oil vapour, thus making additional protective measures, such as a cover, unnecessary.
- High speed
- Insensitivity against interference pulses (for example from PWM controllers or motor magnets).
Compared to its predecessor, equipped with an optical encoder (see catalogue 2011/12, page 352), the new EC 90 flat MILE possesses a remarkably higher nominal torque of 517 mNm and is, with resolutions of up to 3200 impulses per turn, extremely precise too. It is distinguished by optimal integration of the MILE encoder and combines state-of-the-art with the tried and tested features; flange pattern, fixation, and pin assignment are all identical to its forerunner.
The EC Flat is available with hall sensors in two winding types (24, 48 V) and can be combined as follows:
- New with integrated MILE Encoder
- Compatible with Gear GP 52C
- Controllers: compatible with numerous types of servo controllers (ESCON 50/5, DEC, DECS, positioning Controllers EPOS2, EPOS2P EPOS3).
The new EC 90 Flat MILE features extraordinary key data
- High repeating accuracy due to resolutions up to 3200 impulses per turn.
- Exceptionally compact size with dimensions of 90 x 27 mm
- High speeds of up to 5000 rpm
- High max. continuous torque of up to 517 mNm
- Encoder suitable for special environmental conditions (dust, oil, magnetic fields)
The new EC 90 flat MILE is particularly ideal for use in applications demanding high torque and positioning tasks, as well as for high-precision variable speed setups.